Tech Stuff from Elias

Thursday, March 17, 2005

viruses for fun

have you ever wanted to get a virus just so that you can fight it off and win? :) I have. In fact, I did it today. The big huff that's going around, that I blogged about earlier (about how supposedly "Alternative browser spyware infects IE")...I went to the webpage that does this and clicked "Yes"...hehe, just to see what would happen.

Before I went I ran SpyBot S&D and Ad-Aware to make sure I was all clean...I was :).

Then I went to the page and let them try to mess my computer up. Here's the report (I think I counted correctly):

4 viruses detected right away by AVG (and either, healed, or sent to the vault...caught right away!)

14 registry changes detected by S&D (I allowed it just to see what it would do...yeah, it's a weird kind of fun)

I ran Ad-Aware and SpyBot again and they found:

Ad-Aware:
252 new objects:
3 processes
2 modules
50 registry keys
157 registry values
31 files
9 folders
(fixed 'em all)

SpyBot:

57 problems found
(fixed 'em all)

AVG actually didn't catch one virus right away, I found that out 'cause IE popped up a few pop-ups (and I wasn't even running it). The pop-ups were pretty pointless 'cause they were so small you could barely see what was in it, and it didn't change anything on my computer...not sure what guy who writes viruses can't size windows correctly...oh well. But AVG did catch the virus on my next full scan (which I manually ran right after I let the viruses install.

I'm all clean again.

Anyway, that's my fun for the day :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home